SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is all about optimizing a website for search engines.
- designing and developing a website to get higher rank well in search engine results.
- improving the volume and quality of traffic to a website from search engines.
- marketing by understanding how search algorithms work, and what human visitors might search.
- SEO is a subset of search engine marketing
How does a Search Engine Work?
Search engines using several tools in order to deliver search results
- Crawling – Process of fetching/Scaning all the web pages linked to a website. This task is performed by a software called a crawler or a spider (or Googlebot, in case of Google).
- Indexing – Process of creating index for all the fetched web pages and keeping them into a huge database from where it can later be retrieved. Essentially, the process of indexing is identifying the words and expressions that best describe the page and assigning the page to particular keywords.
- Processing – When a search request comes, the search engine processes it, i.e., it compares the search string in the search request with the indexed pages in the database. For example if we type anything in Google search engine or other it’s connect with Google database and display the best result from database.
- Calculating Similarity – It may happened that more than one page contains the similar search string, so the search engine starts calculating the similarity of each of the pages in its index to the search string.
- Retrieving Results – The last step in search engine activities is retrieving the best matched results. Basically, it is nothing more than simply displaying them in the browser.